Have you ever had a moment where you’re listening to the radio, your iPhone, or music player of choice, and a song comes that sparks something deep inside of you?
Not just a ‘I LOVE this song,’ kind of reaction or a ‘This is my jam!’ thought, but more of a moment where you feel like you’re suddenly in a movie or a TV show and the song that starts playing represents your life at that exact moment.
Anyone? Or is it just me?
I’ve had it happen several times. I could be walking, working out, driving, shopping in a store (and the song comes on over the speakers), or listening to music as I work. And suddenly all sorts of emotions stir. Depending on the song, it could cause me to relive an exciting moment with friends, an event, a concert, even a sad moment.
I like to call these songs The Soundtrack to My Life.
Going deeper, these songs are not just my favorite songs. In fact, some of them I don’t even particularly like. And I honestly don’t even know why I have them. Probably because they are part of my life soundtrack and felt obligated to own them. These are the songs that would play during the movie of my life.
And I would like Mila Kunis or Jessica Alba to play me, just for the record. Even though we look nothing alike.
Here are just a few of the songs that make up my soundtrack:
- MMMbop – Hanson: I was in 6th grade when Hanson become a pop sensation. I listened to this song over and over and over while jumping on bed and pretending my Hanson poster was real and I was hanging out with them. (I’m ashamed to admit that). But now whenever I hear it, it brings back fond memories of my childhood.
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Deep Blue Something: I don’t particularly know why this song makes me so happy, but it does. Ever since the first time I heard, I can’t help but rock out to it.
- Let It Shine – Joanna Pacitti: I downloaded this song back in the Limewire/Napster days. I downloaded it thinking it was someone else, but turns out it wasn’t. I listened to this song on repeat before every class in my showing days. Well, once I had a discman I listened to it over and over. It was my pump up jam. Every time I hear it, I think of showing my horse. Wonderful memories.
- I Believe in a Thing Called Love – The Darkness: My first introduction to “rock”. Senior year of high school in our small Photo 2 class. We used to listen to this song on repeat. It drove the teacher nuts. I know every single word, and I’m totally not ashamed.
- Breakaway – Kelly Clarkson: Freshman year of college. The first couple of weeks. I was having a hell of a time adjusting. This song just represented my life at that moment.
- I Wanna Dance with Somebody – Whitney Houston: I think all women/girls have this song on their playlists. It’s the best. And everytime it comes on, I want to dance. Mainly because in college, my roommate and I would have spontaneous dance parties to this song every time it came on our iTunes. Even better, she played it at our wedding so we could have another dance party there.
- Bleeding Love – Leona Lewis: There are MANY songs that remind me of Nick and I when we first started dating, but this one that really stands out. I was on quite a bit when we first started dating, and we both still love it. Definitely a highlight song of our relationship.
- Summer Sunshine – The Corrs: Driving home on the first sunny day we had in weeks, on a June day, back in 2009, after I started my first career job at Kiva Systems. It was a beautiful day and I had glorious day at work.
- All I Do is Win – DJ Khaled: Ah. Yes. DJ Khaled. Nick and I are competitive people. And when we play games, we need to have competitive songs. This is one of them. It stems from our days of Mario Kart competitions. He used to play this all the time. And yes, he usually won. It’s now a pump up song for me. I enjoy working out to it, and I laugh everytime I hear it because I think of the Mario Kart adventures.
- Brave – Sara Bareilles: This song came out just as I was looking to switch jobs in 2012. I was concerned about doing it. It was big step. But this song made me feel so empowered. And every time I hear it, I still feel just as empowered as I did the first time I heard it.
There are SO many more. But, I don’t want to bore you with 50 different songs and why they are part of my soundtrack!
I want to know – what are some of the songs on the soundtrack to your life?